WHEN: The ‘Fest happens annually the weekend after Columbus Day, – October 19 & 20, 2019, 10 am – 5 pm, rain or shine! Please check the Schedule of Activities for Main Street activities which take place on Saturday and Sunday, and Around Town for additional activities starting Saturday, October 12th.
WHERE: on Main Street in Wellfleet, located on Cape Cod. There are lots of fun and educational activities at various locations all around town such as a 5K Road Race and Pickleball Round Robin, both presented by the Wellfleet Recreation Department. Check the Schedule of Activities and Around Town for more information.
WHY: Each year, SPAT creates educational activities designed to improve knowledge and awareness of area shellfishing traditions and techniques. Proceeds from these activities and the ‘Fest fund the organization’s educational mission which includes a local college scholarship program, community grant awards and initiatives to support Wellfleet’s shellfishing and aquaculture industries. To date, SPAT has given more than $514,000 back to the local community.
WEATHER: The OysterFest goes on rain or shine! Dress for fall weather!
TO DO: There is something for everyone at the Wellfleet OysterFest. There’s music, storytelling, cooking demonstrations, nature walks, oyster grant tours and much more. Take a fun fall weekend get-away and experience:
- Local cuisine: Throughout the weekend, local shellfishermen and women come in off the flats to offer their briny, luscious oysters and clams. Alongside the rawbars, restaurants serve up chowders, stuffed clams, and other traditional New England fare. Check out 2019 food vendors here. Culinary programs and cooking demonstrations featuring local chefs cooking with local ingredients, of course including the Wellfleet oyster, are offered throughout the weekend. Click here for more info about 2019.
- Music: Cape Cod has a great local music scene, and that includes the OysterFest! Enjoy local musicians playing everything from bluegrass and rock, and other family-fun music and performances, happening all day throughout the ‘Fest. Click here for the 2019 Entertainment Schedule.
- New England brews: Enjoy New England beers and ales – considered classic accompaniments to oysters. Locally made wine is offered too!
- Beautiful art and crafts: Over 70 carefully selected artisans and artists show off a stunning range of arts and crafts including handmade jewelry, pottery, ceramics, clothing, paintings, photography, furniture, and more. You can find a list of this year’s exhibitors here.
- Competitive fun: Wellfleet’s Recreation Department organizes a 5K road race (register HERE!) and a Pickleball Round Robin,. Test your spelling skills in the marine-themed spelling bee, held at the Wellfleet Public Library!
- Oyster Shuck Off: The OysterFest’s most popular attraction! Round one on Saturday afternoon and the final shuck-off on Sunday. Amateurs compete for the fun of it, and some of Wellfleet’s home-town shuckers have been fast enough to go on to compete nationally. Cash prizes for the top three winners. Interested in competing? Click here for 2019 info.
- Recycling: The OysterFest strives to be a “green event” by recycling as much as possible, but most importantly all of the oyster and clam shells. It’s one of the most important things we do. Click here to learn more about our Oyster Shell Recycling or click here to Volunteer to help!
- Family Fun: Children revel in an area set aside especially for them. The Family Fun area is located in the garden behind Wellfleet Preservation Hall. There is music, craft activities and an obstacle course! The Wellfleet Recreation Department holds a “fun run” just for kids and the Wellfleet Public Library‘s Spelling Bee has a special round just for kids too! Check back soon for more details!
- Lots to learn: The ‘Fest includes educational talks, panel discussions and film screenings presented by top experts in the marine sciences on current research and issues that affect our environment. More details coming soon!
- Community Partnerships: Come enjoy lively, hands-on exhibits presented by Non-Profit Organizations in order to raise awareness about their important missions. Click here for a complete listing of our 2019 Partners.