Stripers 101: Surf Bag Essentials
My surf bag is packed and I am ready to go. I just need the right conditions and I am off to the south shore. I thought you might be interested in exactly what I pack into the April surf bag. The emphasis here is on schoolies and jig fishing. Here goes:
1. Bags of plastic: Zoom flukes for the bay, Cocahoes for the oceanfront, and curly tails for the bucktail jigs.
2. Bucktail jigs in the 1/4-3/4 oz. size range (in curly tail bag).
3. Box with jigheads for all the plastic. Heads run 1/4-3/4 oz.
4. Two floats for the float and jig rigs.
5. Two jointed swimmers – a Bomber and a Red Fin
6. Three poppers – 2 small ones for the bay and a one-ouncer for the ocean (meant for late April)
7. Three needlefish plugs – 2 small ones and one large (meant for late April)
8. Skinny plastic Hogys and Slug Gos in different sizes (meant for late April)
9. Leader wallet packed with extra mono leaders and shrimp teaser rigs
10. Tools – pliers and scissors
11. Film container with extra snaps and swivels.
Yes, it all fits in the surf bag! And, yes, I am ready to go!