9 Ways to Learn to Sail for (Practically) Free
By Shawn Buckles.
Don’t own a boat, but want to learn to sail? In this article, I’ll share some ways that will actually help you to learn to sail and that are either cheap or free.
Here are some great ways to learn how to sail on the cheap:
- Two free online courses by NauticEd
- The Skipper Rank course from NauticEd
- The Sailing Basics course from Udemy
- Playing Sailaway – the Sailing Simulator
- Taking just two sailing lessons
- Taking a 1-day sailing course
- Becoming a ship’s mate
- Joining a crew
- Chartering a boat
Now, sailing is a skill, and so it requires practice. I want to be really clear about this: you can’t learn to sail by reading about it. You’ll have to go out on a sailboat and actually do it.
The first steps are the cheapest – later steps get more expensive. With each step you’ll know more about how you feel about sailing. This way, you prevent making a large investment upfront – only to find out it’s not for you.
READ more at https://improvesailing.com/sailing/free