Last year saw the event cancelled as a results of the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, Nature Bowl is adapting to the times with a nature challenge to all California families with school-age students. With the arrival of spring, it’s time for rejuvenation, time to emerge from winter hibernation, time to get outside and give your family a healthy dose of what’s needed –nature!
Your challenge is to work together as a family to compete in these five nature-themed activities – and possibly win cool nature-related prizes.
- Nature Relay: Take a scavenger hunt safari to see the natural world nearby
- Nature Investigations: Discover native plants, animals in your backyard, neighborhood
- Bell Ringers: Invent a fast-paced family game using Nature Bowl 2021 vocabulary
- Team Problem Solving: Decipher the events in 12 nature photographs
- Enviromercials: Create a 60-second ad on a current nature topic specific to California
Exploration, Critical Thinking, and Fun in Nature!
Nature Bowl is an annual, science-based educational program for 3rd through 6th graders. Through games, problems, puzzles, and exploration, students gain ecological knowledge and conservation literacy. Teamwork and creativity are encouraged as students rotate through stations in a friendly, educational competition.
Natural Bowl curriculum is based on the California Education and the Environment Initiative in conjunction with the Next Generation Science Standards. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife develops the curriculum and works with partners to hold Nature Bowl events.