2022 “Best Harbors in the U.S.” Announced
Popular Vote Determines Winners of the 2022 “Best Harbor in the US” Contest
- 2022 Grand Winner — Padanaram, Massachusetts (2019 Grand Winner) – “Small, not crowded, great food, great views, awesome birds.”, Ben H.
- Gulf Coast Regional Winner — Fort Myers, Florida – “I have never met a more welcoming group of people. On C dock there are nightly docktails where you discuss the days events with 4-40 of your neighbors! Walking distance to many great restaurants and grocery. A wonderful place to stay!”, Vicki F.
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Winner — Gowanus Bay, NY — “Gowanus Bay is a fantastic intersection of maritime commerce, municipal facilities, industry, nature, and recreational paddling.” Captain Brad V.
- Great Lakes Regional Winner — Charlevoix, Michigan (2021 Grand Winner) – “This beautiful little harbor is a Gate way to both Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix. It has all the amenities you could need.”, Julie S.
- Pacific Regional Winner — Depoe Bay, OR (2020 Grand Winner) — Best things include “US Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat Station (Hole in the Wall), world’s smallest navigable harbor and I’m told the largest charter fishing fleet, whale watching capital of the Oregon coast. I love living here!”, Karen A.
- Southeast Regional Winner — Hilton Head Island, South Carolina – “Views are fantastic!”, Toni L.
A live, online Awards Ceremony will take place on Tuesday, June 14 at 2pm EST. The public is invited. More information at: https://usharbors.com/best-harbor-2022
About the “Best Harbor in the US” Contest
Now in its 4th year, the purpose of the annual contest is to promote the strength and vitality of coastal communities: past winners have been harbors whose residents are passionate about where they live and work and have strong communication networks. These kinds of networks are vital in supporting the resilience—and sustainability–of coastal communities as they face the impacts of climate change and other events.
Participation is limited to one vote per user for any of the 1,400+ harbors US Harbors provides coastal weather and tides for, from Maine to Hawaii, Florida to Alaska, and the Great Lakes. Special commemorative plaques recognizing their win will be given to the Overall Winner, and each of the 6 regional winners (e.g., Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Gulf Coast, Pacific, and Great Lakes). Additionally, US Harbors celebrates with a live online Awards Event with harbormasters and residents of the winning harbors. Previous “Best Harbor” winners have included Charlevoix, Michigan (2021); Depoe Bay, Oregon (2020); and Padanaram, Massachusetts (2019).