Boating, Fishing, and Travel Information for Weekapaug Point, RI
“Weekapaug” is a Narragansett word meaning “at the end of the pond”. The area is not as well known as neighboring Watch Hill, Rhode Island, even though it has had summer cottages since 1877. It was known as “Noyes Beach” from 1701 to 1899, named after Reverend James Noyes who purchased 300 acres (1.2 km2).
The Winnapaug and Quonochontaug salt ponds dominate the area. Each pond is open to the Atlantic Ocean via a breachway lined with rock jetties. Most of the rock is granite which is readily available in the Westerly area and used to be its primary industry.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekapaug,_Rhode_Island which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0