How to Fold Nautical Charts in 7 Easy Steps
When you get your nautical charts, you may be surprised by how large they are. To make them easy to use and store, you will need to fold your charts and know how to fold them back after use.
For the best results, you’ll use an accordion fold, ending with the chart face on the outside and the title block showing. This folding method is simple and will make your charts manageable and easy to identify. Watch the video below or continue reading on for step-by-step instructions.
1. With the chart facing up, fold it vertically inward so that the chart face is on the inside.
2. Take one edge and fold it back vertically, so the chart face is on the outside.
3. Flip it over and take the other edge and fold it back vertically, so the chart face is on the outside.
4. With the title block side face up, fold in half horizontally.
5. Take one end and fold it back horizontally toward the fold.
6. Flip over and take the other end and fold it back horizontally toward the fold.
7. Turn so the title block is face up.
When using the chart, unfold just the area you want to observe and fold the rest out of your way. Practice the folding technique a few times, and you will be good at it in no time.
See this technique demonstrated by Bob Sweet, senior navigator, former U.S. Power Squadrons National Educational Officer.
Minnesota-based OceanGrafix provides commercial and recreational boaters with the very best in nautical charts and products. From NOAA charts to those used for international navigation, OceanGrafix prides itself on consistently providing high-quality products that improve the boating experience.