Popham Beach is a summer resort on the west side of Kennebec River just inside the entrance. An abandoned Coast Guard station is on the beach; its L-shaped wharf is located close westward of Fort Popham and has 9 feet alongside. Only ruins of some cribbing remains of an old wharf in the bight southwestward of the fort; and the long Government pier extending northward from Sabino Head was also in ruins.
Old Fort Popham is now a State park, and Popham Beach is believed to be the site of the first settlement in New England. The ship VIRGINIA was built here in 1608. There is a park service float landing with 2 feet alongside, a ramp west of the Coast Guard wharf, a store, and a restaurant.
Click the “Map View” button above to see a chart of this harbor.
Fort Popham Memorial is an unfinished and abandoned fort, now a State historical landmark, on Hunnewell Point. Fort Popham Light (43°45.3’N., 69°47.0’W.), 27 feet above the water, is shown from a cylindrical iron stand on the parapet of the old fort. The light shows higher intensity beams up and down the river.