By Rick Sobey and Alexi Cohan.
A major seafood expo in Boston is getting shelved because of coronavirus concerns, while organizers for other mass events in the city say they’re going on as planned this month despite the threat of the highly contagious disease.
The Seafood Expo North America/Seafood Processing North America trade event “will not take place as scheduled in March and is postponed while we look at other options,” event organizers announced Tuesday.
The marquee event, which draws an international crowd of seafood dealers, was scheduled to take place from March 15-17 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center in the Seaport.
“This decision has been difficult because of the major importance of this event to the industry,” organizers said in a statement. “We heard from those of you who were concerned about health, safety and travel restrictions, and given the short time before the scheduled event date, and upcoming logistics, we have determined that postponement at this time is unavoidable.”
Last week, expo organizers had encouraged attendees to follow a “no-contact, no-handshake policy.”
“We are committed to finding a solution to deliver an event in North America, this year, to ensure business continuity to the seafood industry,” organizers said on Tuesday.
READ MORE at bostonherald.com