Boating, Fishing, and Travel Information for Newburgh, NY
Newburgh is a city in Orange County, New York, 60 miles north of New York City, and 90 miles south of Albany, on the Hudson River. Newburgh is a part of the New York CSA. The Newburgh area was first settled in the early 18th century by the Germans and British. During the American Revolution, Newburgh served as the headquarters of the Continental Army. Prior to its chartering in 1865, the city of Newburgh was part of the town of Newburgh; the town now borders the city to the north and west. East of the city is the Hudson River; the city of Beacon, New York is across the river; and it is connected to Newburgh via the Newburgh–Beacon Bridge. The entire southern boundary of the city is with the town of New Windsor. Most of this boundary is formed by Quassaick Creek.
The city is on the west bank of the Hudson River. Next to it, the land rises at first sharply to a bluff, where many historic homes are located due to the sweeping views it offers of the Hudson Highlands to the south, Mount Beacon to the east and the bridge to the north; then more gradually to a relatively level western half. There are some notable hills in outlying areas, such as the Washington Heights section in the city’s southeast corner and Mount St. Mary’s at the northeast. The lowest elevation in the city is sea level along the river; the highest is roughly 690 feet on Snake Hill along the city’s southern boundary with the Town of New Windsor
Other Helpful Resources: