Boating, Fishing, and Travel Information for Rockaway Beach (inside), NY
Rockaway Beach is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike on the Rockaway Peninsula in the New York City borough of Queens. The neighborhood is bounded by Arverne to the east and Rockaway Park to the west. It is named for the Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk, which is the largest urban beach in the United States, stretching from Beach 3rd to Beach 153rd Streets on the Atlantic Ocean.
The majority of the Rockaway Peninsula is located within the Gateway National Recreation Area. The National Park Service operates three sites as part of the area. Jacob Riis Park is located near the western end of the peninsula, covering approximately 262 acres west of Beach 149th Street in Neponsit. Fort Tilden, a group of historic military installations, is located west of Jacob Riis Park. The final part, Breezy Point Tip, is a 200-acre beach that is also a wildlife breeding area.
NYC Parks also operates several shorefront parks on the Rockaway Peninsula, the longest of which is Rockaway Beach and Boardwalk.
Other Helpful Resources:
- NYC Ferry – Rockaway Routes & Schedules
- Ovrride Rockaway Beach Bus
- NYC Parks Rockaway Beach Events Calendar – featuring “Movies Under The Stars”, kids activities and crafts, fitness classes, and more…
- Kayak & Canoe Launch Sites in New York City – Scroll down and select “Queens” to see boat ramps near Rockaway Beach, NY
- I FISH NY Saltwater Fishing Guide for New York City Area
- Rockaway Beach Club
- Rockaway Beach Surf Club
- Marinas near Rockaway Beach, NY