Information about Round Hill Point, MA
“Colonel” Ned Green, the only son of the renowned female tycoon and miser, Hetty Green, built his home on Round Hill after his mother’s death in 1916 left him with a fortune of between $100 and $200 million.
In 1948, twelve years after the Colonel’s death, his sister and heir donated the entire property to MIT, which used the 240-acre (0.97 km2) estate for educational and military purposes. MIT erected a giant antenna atop a 50,000-gallon water tank on the site. Another was erected nearby for research towards the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System. The giant dish antenna stood as a local and marine navigational landmark until the current owners of the site, the Bevelaqua family, demolished it in 2007.
In 1964 MIT sold the estate to the Society of Jesus of New England as a retreat. In 1968 the Jesuits sold much of the estate’s beach to the Town of Dartmouth in 1968, and then in 1970 sold the entire property to a local woman, Gratia R. Montgomery. She in turn sold most of the site to private developers in 1981, and the area is now a private, gated condominium community.
– adapted from Wikipedia